RE: "Gaming" interviews (was Future Trends in Technical Writing)

Subject: RE: "Gaming" interviews (was Future Trends in Technical Writing)
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:39:44 -0800

>Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
>
><snip> Posted accounts of the hiring processes at companies like Microsoft
>and Amazon sound more like the initiaion rites for Skull and Bones, and
>conversations with some of the people who actually make it through
>sometimes remind me of airport encounters I had in the 80's with people in
>orange robes.

Okay, this reminded me of an interview I once had. Let me see if I can do
this briefly.

This was for a very large company, and the first interview that I had was
with a project manager that was very laid back. Everything that I said was
'cool' and his tone never got above museum-speak. Since he liked my answers
he invited me to a second interview the following day with two other people.

When I showed up I was greeted by 'cool guy' who led me to a small
conference room. There sat a man with no distinguishing features other than
he chose to shave his head. The third man was the supervisor and he too was
nondescript. The bald man was very cordial asking if I was comfortable and
if I would like water or a Pepsi. I felt at ease.

Once the door was closed it was like being in a room with three Badgers and
an open wound.

The bald man leaned forward, eyes wide, and screamed "WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT
XYZ?! IT SAYS THAT YOU'VE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH XYZ, BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW
MUCH!"

As my testicles jumped up and made friends with my spleen, I reached for my
Pepsi and spilled it all over my resume. I looked at the other two men for
help, or at least a cattle prod. They were both sneering. One of them left
the room to get a towel. The bald man continued, a little more subdued this
time.

"When you worked at ABC Company it says that you used a widget! What kind
of widget was it!? Did YOU actually use the widget, or did someone have to
help you [sneer]!?"

This went on for about 30 minutes. Once the interview was over, all of them
reverted to a civilized tone and even smiled, like Linda Blair after Father
Merrin performed the exorcism. It was like nothing unusual had happened.

When the 'cool guy' showed me out, I asked him about the 'bald guy's'
behavior. His reply was too funny: "Oh, him? Yeah, he takes his job very
seriously. We like that here."

- Jim