RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: RE: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:21:33 -0800

>Ned Bedinger wrote:
>
>I recently played out a page from the duelling agencies file.
>
>An agency in another state sought me out, hoping to present me to a
>long-running local-to-me project of a big international consulting firm.
>I gave my permission, and then never heard back. OK, I thought, win some,
>lose some.

I recently had my own recruiter nightmare story, hence my increased
"recruiter questions".

Earlier this year I saw a tech writer position posted on Dice that sounded
interesting. After I submitted my resume to the recruiter, I found out that
the client company was Honda. This sounded good to me since I typically
only see ads for Toyota.

FYI: I had never sent my resume to Honda, nor authorized any recruiter to
do so.

About a week after I sent my resume to the recruiter, I got a call back.
The recruiter said that Honda told her that I had already been submitted for
this job and, since she had also submitted me, I was automatically
disqualified.

I was furious. I explained that I had never even seen an ad for Honda in
the past and, if they had my resume on file, I wanted to know who submitted
me.

A few days later, the recruiter called back sounding confused. She kept
asking me questions like "Have you ever lived in xyz city?" and "You're not
in your late fifties, are you?" (the answer to both was no).

After a few more phone calls it seemed as if there was either another tech
writer named Jim Barrow out there, or some recruiter somewhere took it upon
themselves to submit my resume (after filling in some information on their
own).

Honda decided that the situation was too complicated to even consider me.