Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:26:25 -0800

I recently played out a page from the duelling agencies file.

An agency in another state sought me out, hoping to present me to a long-running local-to-me project of a big international consulting firm. I gave my permission, and then never heard back. OK, I thought, winsome, lose some.

Several months later, a local recruiter sought me out with a position at a long-running local-to-us project of a big international consulting firm. Being aware of the problem caused by letting two different agencies submit me for the same job, I dug out the first job announcement, and read off the agency name and Job ID to my local recruiter. She then check the Job ID and found that it was the same for the new position she was working to fill. So she called the big international consulting firm to ask if there were two positions, or if perhaps if the original announcement had been withdrawn and re-issued. As it happened, they had re-used the job ID but wanted to hire another writer.

So, my diligent local recruiter contacted the out-of-state recruiter to see if they had submitted me for the second position. Huh? <mumble mumble>. They said they'd have to get back to her with the answer. They then got back to her the next day to say that yes, they were planning to submit me again. They then had the original recruiter, whom I talked to months ago, call me again to say they'd gotten me an interview.

What a pity that my diligent, hard working local recruiter couldn't outmaneuver the neglectful one. The one I eventually went to work for was sadly unprepared to work with distant employees, but by rights had me first. I wish I had thought to jump in an tell them to back off if they were planning to submit me on the new position, but by the time the local recruiter called me to fill me in with the goings-on, it was too late.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

No, the recruiter always works on the basis of receiving a commision
for finding the candidate the client company hires. But every candidate
gets run through the recruiter's version of the ROI calculation, as in
what are the chances the client will want to hire this candidate, what
are the chances the candidate will accept the job if offered, has the
client company already received this candidates resume from another
source, etc. The questions a recruiter asks you about the level of your
interest in a job change, whether you've submitted your resume to
other places (a yes answer will usually be followed by your being
asked what companies if the recruiter is trying to find out if the client
has your resume without telling you who the client is), etc., is the
recruiter looking for any indication that the chances of you getting
and accepting an offer from a client that he/she is able to collect a
commision from are not good. If such indications are found the
recruiter will not be interested in working further with you.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>

I'm not following this logic at all. Recruiters choose to act as middlemen
for the client companies. This isn't a task that is thrust upon them. Are
you suggesting that when a company contacts a recruiter looking for a tech
writer, and there isn't a commission for this position, the recruiter
searches for a tech writer begrudgingly?: