RE: LCD monitors

Subject: RE: LCD monitors
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Kat Nagel" <kat -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:04:38 -0800

Kat Nagel wrote:

> I'm going to do it. Finally. I'm giving up my beloved 21" hi-rez
> (at the time) monitor
> My budget may stretch to cover a 19" or 20" LCD monitor, but not
> the 23"+ models
> Any suggestions?

Kat:

I recently switched to a 19-inch LCD monitor from the 21-inch CRT I'd had for over a decade, mostly because I'd always wanted an Eames ESU desk and there just isn't room on one of those things for a huge CRT.

The monitor's a Samsung 930B; it cost around $200 and I'm really happy with it.

Unless you're uncorrectably farsighted, don't worry about the 2-inch difference in size between a new 19" and your old 21"; LCDs look better than CRTs up close -- and they don't emit X-rays -- so you'll probably find that you can just sit a little closer to the screen.

Be aware that LCDs are, for all practical purposes, single-resolution displays; the "maximum resolution" in the monitor's specs is really the ONLY resolution at which it'll look good... So if you like 1280 x 1024, don't buy a monitor that'll do 1600 x 1200.

Oh, and if I were a professional writer, I'd probably have looked at the LCD monitors that can pivot between portrait and landscape orientations; they don't seem to cost much more than the landscape-only monitors.

Good luck...

-Andrew