RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:41:09 -0800

It's not a trick or gimmick. I explain that we have a short writing test that
should take no more than about 20 minutes. I'm not looking for spelling or
grammar, it's a 1st draft. What I am looking for, I say, is your logical
approach and how you structure information. This is not the only thing looked
at in this interview but it is a part.

(what I get is people editing the text they are supposed to be rewriting for
grammar and spelling. Despite the fact that I tell them this is not important
and the instructions asy it is not important. That's what most writers do.
sigh)

When someone sighs and shakes their head, I think I have a problem child. We're
_writers_ and it's not at all a surprise that you should be asked to take a
_writing_ test. My husband is a journalist editor and he gives interviewing
reporters writing tests all the time because these are _writers_ and a certain
level of writing has to be there.

I don't really want to hire people who make an obvious face and act as tho this
is beneath them. If this is beneath them, then what else is going to be a
problem? The writing test is a small part of what I'm considering but it's to
be expected that we would do this since you are in fact looking for a _writing_
job.

And what else am I going to ask of them as employees that they don't like? I
can't only give assignments that are fun. How do you handle stuff you don't
like? During the interview, everyone is on the best behavior. If you are
willing to act like that on your best behavior, then what are you like when you
are comfortable?

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
951-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com

Quoting "Condo, Candis" <ccondo -at- c-cor -dot- com>:

I could not agree more. Both as a manager and as a writer, I would
prefer honest open discussions WITHOUT tricks or games, thank you very
much.

Candis L. Condo