RE: securing information

Subject: RE: securing information
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:55:56 -0500

Cees de Bondt MSc wrote:

<I did not see great help on my question a few weeks ago >

Just a note regarding care and feeding of SMEs: a statement that the
question is still open is perfectly okay and motivates me to make time to
answer, sarcasm and complaint usually do not. I am choosing to assume that
the sarcasm I felt in the opening of the post was unintended and the request
for more assistance is sincere. Offerings of fine chocolate are always
appropriate but are certainly easier in person.

<How should you secure these data and show to users these data are
totally reliable? ...By implementing an ISO 9000 system? >

Yes if you would use an atom bomb to rebuild a chicken coop -- overkill and
not appropriate (and ultimately ineffective). The best quality management
system (ISO) cannot make up for sloppy data, and as somebody else recently
pointed out, ISO does _not_ guarantee good product or good data (and is not
intended to do so).

Use the basic rules of good writing from English 101 -- quote accurately
and always cite your source. Use the basic rules of good writing from
Journalism 101 -- make your own best effort to use accurate sources.

I wasn't sure you would like this answer, which is why I didn't post it
earlier. As long as you insist, though, here it is. I do hope it helps.

Dori Green
Technical Writer, Quality Management System Project
Associated Brands, Inc.