If you were asked to design a course for undergrad engineering students...

Subject: If you were asked to design a course for undergrad engineering students...
From: "Tissa Salter" <tissa55 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:57:49 +0300

Hello all:

We are in the process of reviewing our technical communication program
and I thought I would ask this group for your opinions. I apologize
in advance for the redundancy if I have already contacted you via
other lists or directly.

Background: Texas A&M University has opened a new campus in Qatar and
we are only offering degrees in Electrical, Mechanical, Petroleum, and
Chemical Engineering. In addition to the engineering courses, the
predominantly Qatari and other Middle Eastern students must, by Texas
State law, take all the normal core classes required on the home
campus. I teach Technical Communication, a generalist
sophomore/junior level required English class.

Issue: It has been mentioned by some engineering faculty that this
class should be tailored to separate the students and teach
industry-specific documentation to each of the four engineering
specialties.

Without biasing your opinion, I would like to know how you would teach
technical communication to this student body if you could design the
course. Would you design a course to serve as a broad overview that
yields the core competencies the students will need in most any field,
or would you support an industry-specific approach? Why?

Your thoughts and opinions would be EXTREMELY valuable to us as we
study this issue.

Thank you,

Tissa Salter
English Faculty
Texas A&M University at Qatar

979-216-1223 US line ringing in Doha (+ 9 hours)
US Forwarding Address:
c/o TAMUQ Support Office
PO Box B-6
College Station, TX 77844

Tissa Salter
US line ringing in Doha home (+8 hours): 979-216-1223
Texas Mobile ( voicemail checked weekly): 979-218-3462
US Forwarding address:
c/o TAMUQ Support Office
PO Box B-6
College Station, TX 77844
"Life is ten percent what happens to you
and ninety percent how you respond to it." ~ Lou Holtz