RE: If Bill Gates is such a great philanthropist . . .

Subject: RE: If Bill Gates is such a great philanthropist . . .
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:54:39 +0100

<<To say that I would buy such a book is a considerable understatement; I
bet I could move 100 copies of it among my professional contacts alone, and
I think that on TECHWR-L alone you would find no shortage of eager "test
pilots" for QA

But there would need to be *two* books:

-- A bigger book for the writer, editor, information designer or
otherwise-titled Word wonk who would set up the templates, write the VBA to
customize the software, etc., and >>

That would be a very big book. I could easily fill a few hundred pages with
this

<<-- A small pocket-sized reference booklet for the users on how to use the
customized system, and how to keep from (messing) it up. Some nice online
training could accompany this.>>

My business largely consists of creating templates for companies. (Usually
when they are going through a rebranding exercise. There is budget for that,
but rarely any budget for merely improving productivity in using Word across
the organization :-/)

I normally provide precisely the reference booklet you mentioned to
accompany them, laid out using one of the templates I provide, so users can
see what documents made from the templates should look like. The wording of
the booklet is much the same from one customer to the next, the style names
are the same from one customer to the next, so a large part of the booklet
is created simply by pasting in the formatted text and having it
automatically adopt the destination style formats.

Regards
Jonathan West