Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)

Subject: Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: Martha Rogers <marlynrogers -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:28:21 -0700

You are not going to get this job.

You will never find out why.

You think you have the best qualifications for it, and you may be right,
and they may still not want you. That happens.

If you are seriously looking for a job, put your resume on Monster,
Dice, and every other job listing you can find. Ask other tech writers
for recommendations for recruiters that specialize in tech writing. Join
the STC and then look through their job database. Join your local
chapter, go to the chapter meeting, and announce that you are looking
for work. Tell everyone you know that you're looking. Make an "elevator"
speech: A 30-second spiel that makes you memorable and communicates who
you are and what you want. Get your own personal business cards;
Vistaprint.com make them for *free* if you allow them to put their logo
on the back. Search through Monster, Dice, and so forth every day. Put
your resume into FM, MS Word, HTML, and text format. Join LinkedIn.com
and build up your network. Get your portfolio ready.

You may be tempted to "fly-fish" for jobs, waiting silently until
exactly the right job surfaces, and then hoping to cast right on top of
it. Even flyfishers know that the trout doesn't always bite. The
flyfisher can afford to go home without a catch, but you can't afford to
go without a job. Instead of fly fishing, get yourself an enormous,
fine-mesh net and drag the sucker from one end of the pond to the other.
That's much more work, of course, and may take longer initially, but
your chances of landing something are much greater.

I have been laid off five times now in the last 13 years. In other
words, since 1982 I have left a company *once* on my own volition, and I
have worked for six companies already and going now for my seventh.
*Every single time* I went looking, I found the "perfect" job, *got the
interview*, and wasn't hired. It is disappointing, to be sure. I have
learned that 1) it's their loss, not mine, and 2) I probably wouldn't
have been happy/successful there anyway.

Joe