Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job

Subject: Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:58:25 +0530

On 10/9/06, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

I don't use a laptop as my primary computer for performance
reasons. If you think your laptop runs hot, imagine if it had
twice as many CPUs in it.

Heh :-) No room for expansion on this laptop... :-)
That said and done - I use the GIMP for image work; I haven't started using
InDesign yet; no 3D/CAD/really heavy work. Performance is pretty adequate
for the rest of the stuff we run (basically, Office and FrameMaker). That's
even though I'm using a 32-bit Linux distribution on a 64-bit CPU.

My portable computer is a wimp compared to my desktop.
Its processor is barely over 1 Ghz. But it weighs in at two
pounds.

Portability versus performance... another old battle.
Ditto here - my gaming and other experimentation is done on a relatively
recent PIV 3.06GHz, with 3D accelerator etc. The laptop is a portable work
machine, which is very convenient - but comparatively underpowered. I don't
mind it that way, either. The kind of heat the desktop puts out with 2 hard
drives, the 3D card and what seems to be an overheating northbridge chip,
there's no way it would fit in a laptop casing without dying of heatstroke!

Ed.