Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job

Subject: Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:42:12 -0400

Johnson, Tom wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting a new job very soon. My new employer has asked me for specificatio
ns for a new computer. I haven't kept up with the latest trends in processors a
nd the like. Does anyone have a suggestion for minimum requirements for a compu
ter?

You can never have enough RAM or hard drive capacity....and if'n
you're over 50, size does matter when it comes to the display
(assuming you would be getting a flat panel and not an older CRT
model).
I think you need to look at both your working environment and the type
of products you are expected to produce, both now and in the near
future. (Things always change once they get to know your abilities.)
I use a 2.5 Gig P4 stuffed with RAM and a number of 80 Gig hard
drives; however, my last and current positions allow me to work out of
my home office. At my prior position, everyone was assigned a
laptop. At the office, they connected to the servers via port
replicators and 10/100 Ethernet. At the home office, we connected via
a VPN to those same servers. This negated the need for huge hard
drives, but slowed things down because most of the larger documents
could not be downloaded and worked locally; however, with firewire and
USB2.0, those hard drive limitations are minimized.
If you go the laptop route and heavy graphics manipulation or video
programming is involved, I would opt for one of the dual-core
processors over a centrino-type processor, as much RAM as the system
will take and a large screen. Make sure you have both hard-wire and
wireless networking capabilities.
I would follow the same route with a desktop system (lots of RAM, lots
of hard drive space, big flat panel display) and look at the dual-core
processors from AMD in addition to Intel's offerings. I've heard good
things about AMD, but I don't have any person experience using an
AMD-based system.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design,

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
note cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know
whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt