RE: Skills vs education (was: Senior technical writer?)

Subject: RE: Skills vs education (was: Senior technical writer?)
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>, <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:02:23 -0400

Oh, how muddy it gets.

Eric (I think), you seem to be defining an "engineer" as one who either
can legally sign his / her name P.Eng. (or Ing. in Quebec) or
professionally stamp documents.

My wife, a transportation engineer with a graduate degree from a major
university does not have her P.E., but IS and HAS BEEN a transportation
engineer for the past 22 years, working both in private industry as well
in the public sector (governmental), AND is recognized and -- from what
I've seen -- highly regarded as a top-notch transportation engineer by
her peers and the professional society to which she belongs.

No, she doesn't sign her name with a P.Eng. And therefore, she can't
stamp documents.

But, as I've said, she DOES have over 22 years professional experience,
including the past 19 years with one of the most high-profile civil
engineering firms in the state of Georgia; she also been called upon and
has served as an expert witness in several court cases. In this major
metropolis, chances are over three-fourths of the transportation
engineering community either knows or knows of my wife.

And because she tends to be a workaholic and a perfectionist, she has
told and shown me at home some of the poor workmanship done by some of
her "professional" engineer "peers" and how she has corrected their
errors but watched as many of them just repeat the same mistakes.

Perhaps, you are really defining a "Licensed" professional engineer, but
certainly NOT a professional engineer who simply is not licensed but
performs -- in many cases -- better work than the "licensed" variety.

Oh, and yep -- I get to hear how this or that road came to be named
whateveritis and where the next wave of development is apt to be. You'd
be surprised.

And with you being in Canada, I know you'll tell us of the engineering
and political heads that will roll following the tragic collapse of part
of a major roadway near Montreal this past weekend. (We honeymooned
there in 1989 and found the city truly beautiful.)

-- Kenpo in Atlanta