Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)

Subject: Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:59:08 -0700 (PDT)

Al Geis wrote:

You do bring up a good point and one that we should be on the lookout
for....per diem problems for remote contracts. Could it be that the
hiring concern is simply trying to put a few extra dollars in their
pocket at our expense because we are "gullible?" Careful reading of
the job description and the remuneration should be done anyway, but
maybe we should add per diem to the checklist.

Richard Lewis responds:

In talking with the agencies that I have about remote contract assignments, I really get the impression that very few contractors - tech writers, developers, you name it - have initiated intelligent discussions with them about per diem. Otherwise, the agencies would be more knowledgeable about the topic themselves. Really, it is not uncommon for me to have to explain to an agency person who has called me to do a remote contract assignment what per diem means! You might say that maybe they were just "playing dumb", but I got the impression that they were genuinely that way. And who pays for remote living expenses is such a large part of the contract deal!

Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

Every remote contract I've been assigned to was government affiliated.
While the number is small, each one paid per diem according to the GSA
per diem tables, and there was no discussion of it being deducted from
my hourly rate.

Richard Lewis responds:

I know that such arrangements exist. I worked as a local contractor on a federal government software system project. All the remote contractors got what you got. They were put up at the Ritz - and I mean the real Ritz! However, I don't think there are alot of such potential arrangements on DICE assignments.

http://mail.yahoo.com