Re: Hiring Discrimination?

Subject: Re: Hiring Discrimination?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:19:42 -0700

I could probably make myself crazy thinking about all the ways I could be discriminated against, starting off with the fact that
my name at the top of my resume shouts out my ethnicity. The
dividing line I draw in my personal and business life is that I
choose to ignore the possibility of discrimination against me
during the process of job searching and interviewing (there
are enough companies out there that really put what I can do
for them at the top of their priority lists and I don't need the
ones that don't messing with my head), but as an employee and a manager I will speak up if I believe I see it in my company's policies and I regularly self-examine my own internal candidate selection criteria to ensure that I am not falling into certain patterns of thinking I find unacceptable. I can't fix the world or a company I don't work for, but I sure as hell don't have to let myself become part of the problem.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>

My take on this is that discrimination is a natural and expected form of human behavior, and while we can legislate against the most egregious forms and complain bitterly about the others, we can't really do anything much to stop people from discriminating.