Hiring Discrimination?

Subject: Hiring Discrimination?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:56:55 -0400

My take on this is that discrimination is a natural and expected form of human behavior, and while we can legislate against the most egregious forms and complain bitterly about the others, we can't really do anything much to stop people from discriminating. All we can do is try to remove as many irritants as possible when we interview so as to avoid pushing the "who invited this joker?" button, and recognize that sometimes the results of an interview come more from luck than from our actual merit.

I've frequently read of studies (but not seen the actual published science) that claim the results of most interviews are decided within the first five minutes, often as a result of purely subjective factors such as the cut of someone's suit--or their skin color. I can certainly provide personal anecdotal evidence from interviews in which I knew immediately from the interviewer's face (clearly not a poker player) that I wasn't getting the job, and that I was going to waste the next half hour or more trying not to burn any bridges. I can also provide anecdotal evidence of getting a job based on my presentation even when the interviewer was clearly not impressed by me at the start. (There was that one time I had to borrow Dad's suit for a key but entirely unexpected interview, and hadn't trimmed hair or beard in far too many months... <g>)

I'm not sure there's much we can do about this other than grit our teeth and do our best. An occasional lawsuit does tend to keep interviewers honest, but few of us have the resources to try this.

In terms of age discrimination, I can certainly understand the desire to discriminate, even if I hate the logic: An experienced older communicator is going to ask for more money than a younger person with less experience, and if you don't understand the value of experience, why would you hire the more expensive person to achieve exactly the same result? Now that I freelance, I've gotten quite good at selling myself on the basis that yes, I'm more expensive, but here's some evidence (productivity and the kinds of errors I catch during editing) that you'll actually pay less for my services than if you hire someone cheaper. Even won a few contracts on this basis. But it's never an easy sell.

www.geoff-hart.com