Re: Too old?

Subject: Re: Too old?
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:07:12 -0400

Dan, that is actually a great question.

Age discrimination has happened a couple of times, but not recently. I was
looking around for the article on AskTheHeadhunter.com (Too Old? is the
title, I think), where he discusses how important attitude is in getting the
position, but I couldn't find it. I recommend his site (and book) highly! He
has helped me tremendously to refine my job search skills. He also answers
e-mails. Asktheheadhunter.com.

Back to the topic: I do try to get an interview without "showing my hand"
about the age thing. (No college dates, recent jobs only, other older
experience bulleted without dates, and so on.) I also don't fill out
applications before I interview--EVER. I even asked one HR person if she was
trying to find out my age, and if so, that is illegal. Needless to say, I
didn't pursue that one, even though they wanted me to. Was that an age
thing? Yeah, I think so.

Usually, if I am a good fit for the job, I can prove in the interview that I
can do the work and add to their bottom line. But my criteria for a good job
includes a diverse employee base: age, ethnicity, and gender. So if they
discriminate based on age, or anything else, I wouldn't want to work there
anyway.

PT

On 9/25/06, Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

How would I know? Employers are no more likely to mention it than race or
religion.