Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?

Subject: Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?
From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, lara -at- laraspence -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:12:41 +0200

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 18:55, Lara Spence wrote:
> but our development team wants it automated using the command line so they
> can integrate the help creation into existing unattended build system.

Hello Lara,

I what your developers want, but you will not get this will typical tools.
However, I think you can use the path
FM > Docbook XML > Help

I am not familiar with FM, but I do know that it has capabilities for editing
Docbook XML. Perhaps even the ability to export to. If you have this ability
then you will be able to give your developers the help system as a build
which they can call within their mainbuild. Docbook is a batch processing
system so it will work from the CLI. You can invoke the build using either
GNU Make or Apache ANT. The build can define as many output targets as you
have stylesheets for. Docbook already provides stylesheets for all the major
presentation level formats you will need. Of course plain vanilla docbook
formatting may not suit your tastes and you may need to develop custom layers
to produce the formating you want.

Hope this helps,

--
Ask me about the Monkey.