Doxygen/LaTeX woes

Subject: Doxygen/LaTeX woes
From: siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwhirlers)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:58:44 +0000

I am really about to lose it here. I need some help.

My company uses Doxygen to generate documentation from our code. I've been trying for nearly two weeks to tweak Doxygen (and its evil handmaid, LaTeX) to produce decent output. I've tweaked the Doxyfile stylesheet, the Makefile file, and worked on learning LaTeX (kill me NOW, please!), and nothing works.

Here's the problem: Doxygen and LaTex between them can generate HTML, RTF, and PDF files. I need to integrate these files into the rest of my documentation. For reasons I'm not going into here, this documentation is being produced in Adobe InDesign. I need to edit and format this material in InDesign. I have two problems:

1. When I open the PDF generated by LaTeX (using pdflatex), it looks fine except that the text is squeezed into 2/3 of the page

The problem developed when I changed the Doxyfile from PAPER_TYPE = A4 to PAPER_TYPE = letter. This allowed me to generate a PDF file for 8.5 x 11 inch paper. BUT when I did so, as noted, the text wound up squeezed into 2/3 of the page. There are huge white margins around the text. How on earth do I tell LaTeX to quit doing that?

2. The second problem is that I really need to be able to pull this material into an InDesign file in order to edit/format it in compliance with our standard style. I can't open a PDF file in InDesign, and editing a 230 page document in Acrobat Pro is not going to work. I've tried generating RTF files, but they come out without bookmarks. Is there any way to get hyperlinks into an RTF file?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sarah