Re: too many hyperlinks in a topic?

Subject: Re: too many hyperlinks in a topic?
From: SaraTörök <sara -dot- torok -at- se -dot- nucletron -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:56:02 +0200

Hi René,

I make html help (using Robo Help). I've never done java help, so I don't
know if this is directly applicable.

Whenever the user needs to check something in another topic before
continuing, for instance in this case:
'Before doing procedure P, make sure you have correct settings as defined
in 'Settings'.

I make the linked topic open in a smaller window on top of the current
topic window. This smaller window can be scrolled and individually closed
when finished reading, so that you can continue where you were in the
original topic without getting lost.

I also add information about the different types of cross-references in
the tool-tip displayed when hovering over a cross-reference link. 'Jump to
topic' or 'Display topic in pop-up' are the two alternatives. The idea is
to encourage nervous users to click on the reference without worrying
about getting lost. I doubt that many users notice this pop-up help text,
though.

I've tried to keep the different types of cross-references etc to a
minimum, so I don't use the See also, Related topics, Expanding hotspots,
Drop-down hotspots, and all such extra functionality because it just
increases the confusion for the user (and would give me much more to keep
track of for updating). Decide what extra help options are most useful and
stick to them.

Sara
______________________
Sara Török
Technical Writer
Nucletron Scandinavia AB

Tel. +46 18 56 50 27
______________________

e-letter <inpost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+sara -dot- torok=se -dot- nucletron -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
2006-09-16 18:36

cc

Subject
too many hyperlinks in a topic?

Readers,

I'm reviewing a (java)help document that has been critised as having
excessive hyperlinks in each topic, such that readers are easily
diverted and become 'lost' from the original topic that they were
reading.

A silly question, I admit, but is there is consensus or general rule
of thumb as to what consititutes "excessive hyperlinks"?

Is the answer to simply reduce the hyperlinks?

Should the document change from object orientated (now) to more task
orientated (future)?

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

René.

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as sara -dot- torok -at- se -dot- nucletron -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/sara.torok%40se.nucletron.com