RE: Non-Competition Agreements for Technical Writers - ethical issues

Subject: RE: Non-Competition Agreements for Technical Writers - ethical issues
From: "Svi Ben-Elya" <svi -at- svi -dot- co -dot- il>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:04:39 +0300

1. Thank for your response.

2. Regarding your question about what the market for technical writers is
like in Israel:
Right now there is a shortage of experienced tech writers. Israel is a small
country with a lot of R&D centers, so even a small tech writing firm is very
likely to do at least some work with many of the potential clients/employers
of tech writers. There is a strong financial incentive for writers to make
the move from subcontractor to independent or find a good inhouse position.
There is also an incentive for clients who are happy with a writer supplied
by an outsource company to hire or work directly with that writer.

This incentive became especially strong at the end of the recession when
writers who subcontracted during the recession began finding their own
direct clients or in house positions that paid far more than they would
receive from a returning client (even if the returning client was paying a
much higher rate). The client couldn't get the writer through the outsource
company and couldn't work with him/her directly. The outsource company
couldn't get the writer at rates that were significantly lower than what
that writer was now getting elsewhere.