Tools for software localization

Subject: Tools for software localization
From: "Andreas Ternes" <aternes -at- invitec -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:37:47 +0200

Hello Tech-whirlers!

Who among you has hands-on experience with software localization tools?

Our company will switch its development environment to C#/DotNet, and I
am searching for the "right" tool for localization.
I've already found and partly tested four tools:
- PASSOLO,
- Alchemy,
- Visual Localize and
- Lingobit Localizer

Some vendors will present their product at the German TechComm
conference in November, but this year I won't have the chance to attend
this conference.
That's why I try to collect information via this list.

At first view I can't see major differences between these programs, but
more precise information is necessary for me. One important criterion
when selecting a localization tool is the possibility to export complete
translation projects to the translator (in our case partners in the
corresponding countries), who will then do the translation. But the tool
that they will use for translation shouldn't be too complicated.
Something like the (free) tools offered by PASSOLO and Lingobit.

Who has worked with one of the tools mentioned above (or another one
that I didn't mention) and can give me more information.

Many thanks for your help and greetings from Germany
Andreas Ternes