Re: IIBA Certification

Subject: Re: IIBA Certification
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, John Cook <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:16:35 -0700 (PDT)

There was a discussion about a week ago on how to exceed 100k as a
tech writer. Make busines analysis and project planning more than 10%
of what you do. I'm a tech writer. I'm at $100,000.75. I can manage a
documentation project and I can do some business analysis.

--- Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> True, but considering that right now it's common for
> tech writers to be able to obtain jobs that are 90%
> technology (software, hardware, etc.) and maybe 10% project
> planning or business process without having any certification
> in the 90% part of the job, I'd say the chances
> that a certification for the 10% part is going to become a "hot new
> must-have" for tech writers in general is pretty low.
>
> > Have you seen a job in technical writing that didn't
> > involve business analysis to a lesser or greater degree?
> > The same with Poject management...every technical writing
> > effort is a project and all but
> > the most novice of writers need to know how to manage it.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."