links are live in FrameMaker, dead in PDF

Subject: links are live in FrameMaker, dead in PDF
From: "Sydney Compson" <sydney -dot- compson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:20:26 -0400

hello, tech-wrl-ers,

Has anyone else experienced the following issue? I have a PDF that has a
number of dead links. That is, they *look* like hyperlinks, but when you
click on them, nothing happens. However, when I go to the FrameMaker source
files, the links are fine -- with each one, the cross-reference appears to
have been created correctly, and when I Ctrl-Alt-click on the link (in
Frame), it takes me to the desired location.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this since, again, the FrameMaker
groundwork seems to be correct. I've tried re-PDFing (which, perhaps not
surprisingly, doesn't help), as well as deleting
problematic cross-references and creating them again (this helps sometimes).
But the latter approach seems overly tedious for this particular book, which
is long and has a massive number of cross-references. Does anyone know what
might be causing the problem?

grazie!
sydney