Re: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!

Subject: Re: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:19:04 +0100

On Tuesday, August 15, 2006, John Posada wrote;

> Actually, I don't think the comma matters one way or the other. The
> original form with the misplaced second comma:

> ?shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it
> is made, and thereafter for successive five-year terms, unless and
> until terminated by one year prior notice in writing by either
> party.?

> How is this different?

> ?shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it
> is made, and thereafter for successive five-year terms unless and
> until terminated by one year prior notice in writing by either
> party.?

> I think it is the inclusion of the word "unless", which modifies the
> statement before it.

> It's not the comma...it was just written poorly.
---

For my two-eurocents-worth:

The pair of commas are "parenthetic" and denotes supplementary
information. So, in the version that was signed, the principle meaning
(which is derived by removing the parenthetically delimited phrase)
is:

"shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it
is made unless and until terminated by one year prior notice in
writing by either party."

That phrase, "and thereafter for successive five-year terms" is
supplemental and provides an option to extend.

In contrast in the second version the provision for termination
applies to the extension but, because of the intervening comma, not
the initial term.

--
Geoff