RE: transferring/overwriting styles in MS Word

Subject: RE: transferring/overwriting styles in MS Word
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "peri jstar" <jstar99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:22:15 -0500

Peri, it looks as though you may have multiple issues going on.

The easiest way to use consistent styles in Word is to create a new
document template that has styles defined the way you want them, and
then use that template as the basis for new documents. You can create
multiple document templates for different needs, too -- you might use
the standby normal.dot for letters and then set up new ones for manuals
and newsletters.

If you have Word 2003, you'll notice, too, that Word likes to "assist"
you by listing new style options whenever you deviate from the existing
ones -- e.g., "Heading1 + 14 pt Comic Sans Font Color Blue." If you
really want a new heading formatted with that variant of Heading1,
define a new style for it and apply that style where it fits. Otherwise,
exercise style discipline and don't make those kinds of changes. Define
all the styles you need, then apply them consistently and exclusively.

Finally, if you're comfortable with Word macros or willing to learn
about them, you can find some useful solutions that involve them, too.
At The Editorium web site, for instance, there's a free macro that will
enable you to delete all unused styles from a document. It can be handy
and give you a much cleaner document to work with.

The Editorium archives describe a variety of techniques, including how
to create and use templates effectively.