Re: Frame Maker deletes my changes when updating the index

Subject: Re: Frame Maker deletes my changes when updating the index
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:51:59 +0800

** Hi Yoann -

> "continued" at top of columns: I think it is a way to facilitate the user's
> browsing in the index, advising him that the column he's starting to read is
> the continuation of the previous one.

Yes, there are at least two situations where this is useful:
- where the character formatting makes it hard to tell apart
main entries from second- and third-level entries
- where there are entries with very many sub-entries, so that
a whole column or even a whole page consists of sub-entries.

> See / See also ref. : I thought they were links to create inside the
> index, without any marker to put in the text.

Think of them as cross-references in words rather than in the
form of links.

"See X" means "Look for index entries under X instead of under
this keyword."

"See also X" means "Look for index entries under X as well as
under this keyword."

> Are the <$nopage> markers just a
way to avoid the delete-all feature when regenerating the index?

Not quite. It means "Create a normal entry in the index, but without
a page number and a link at the end of the entry."

> ...do you have good arguments to convince my boss the page ranges
> are needed, in place of just putting a marker at the beginning of the
> topic, whatever its length?

A page range indicates that the subject is treated continuously,
and not as unconnected references in a topic that's mainly about
something else.

Imagine that hockey is mentioned in passing on pages 18 and 19
and is discussed in detail in a topic on pages 76 to 79. Your boss
would index it as:

hockey 18, 19, 76

If I saw this I would look at pages 18-19 first, because it looks
like a cluster of entries about hockey. If you had indexed it as:

hockey 18, 19, 76-79

... I would look up page 76 first.

> Thank you, and sorry for my English: I'm a stinking-cheese eater!

You're welcome, and your English is fine (although the way you placed
the hyphen indicates that you're an eater of stinking-cheese--if you
wanted to make it clear that you're really a cheese eater who stinks,
you would say "stinking cheese-eater" ;^)

Stuart (likes cheese, the stinkier the better)