Re: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign

Subject: Re: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:53:43 -0400

Hi Tonya,
I've used FrameMaker, PageMaker, InDesign and Word for User Guides in excess
of 200 pages. PageMaker is a dead product, but it still works. I feel
that InDesign gives you much more individual stylistic control than
FrameMaker, but FrameMaker gives a much higher level of consistency between
documents. I haven't much experience with Quark to give you an opinion on
it's capabilities. As for Word, it has it's problems, but it will do the
trick if that's all you have to work with, and for a lot of smaller shops,
Word is it.
The main difference between FrameMaker and the other programs (minus Word)
is that Frame is geared toward books versus booklets. PageMaker had a book
plugin that worked, but not as efficiently as Frame. I haven't used
InDesign for books yet.
Hope that helps. Others may have different opinions, especially those that
have used Quark.
Al
Stefan, Tonya wrote:

Has anyone had experience developing User Guides (200+pages) in Quark
Express or InDesign? My impression is that these applications are meant
to handle design and page layout oriented projects.

_

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang