RE: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation

Subject: RE: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation
From: "Mike Schmidt" <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:11:28 -0500

One time, we needed our On-Line Manual translated into Spanish for a
Venezuelan company. We looked at translation companies and they were
outrageous. There were about 800 HTML pages. We wound up hiring two
people from a temp agency. One from Mexico and one from Peru. Both
Spanish but with considerable differences in dialect. They had technical
backgrounds and basically worked together and agreeing on acceptable
language.

It cost the company a few thousand dollars but was way cheaper than
sending to an independent company for translation. That would have been
in the tens of thousands if I recall correctly.

So, that may be a possibility for you.

From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. Can you tell that I think this is a
baaaaaaaaaad idea to hand over control of document translations to the
end user?

Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that
easy. Watch the demo at http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/mschmidt%40weathercen
tral.tv