Re: Adding custom colors to Word template?

Subject: Re: Adding custom colors to Word template?
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 07:47:32 -0500

The thing to do is not to worry so much about adding a custom color permanantly to the palette (although I think it can be done fairly readily), but formatting paragraph styles, character styles and table styles with the appropriate custom color.

I've done any number of templates where I based the color of heading styles and character styles on a custom color that tied directly to the corporate color standards. Once the styles are defined, you never have to muck about with the color palette.

I haven't tinkered with table styles yet... it's a back-burner concept that's something I'd like to learn but as with most things, I learn them as needed.

I'll try to look at adding a custom color to the palette today at the office and follow up later.

Otherwise, feel free to contact me offlist for more information. I think I feel an article coming on but work always takes precedence.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:39:45 -0400
From: "Robotti, Anne \(Carlin\)" <ARobotti -at- CarlinGroup -dot- com>
Subject: Adding custom colors to Word template?

Hi all,

I searched the archives for this, but didn't see anything that related
to my specific situation.

I'm trying to tie my technical manuals into a branding initiative at my
company.

As one part of doing so, I want to change various things (table header
shading, link colors, various graphic elements) to a color that ties in
with the company logo.

I'm working in Word 2003 on Windows XP, and I can't figure out how to
add a custom color to the color palette. I've really only ever worked in
FrameMaker, but the options don't seem to be in the same place. Also, I
would like to be able to control the transparency of the color in the
table cells.

Follow-up question:

I've never done a manual in Word before, and I find that I'm continually
being tripped up by this kind of stupid thing. I finally just wrote a
macro to change my link colors, but I can't write a macro every time I
want to change the color of something. What's the best resource for
basic help with Word?

Thanks for any help,

Anne Robotti