Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation

Subject: Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>, Rob Domaschuk <rdomaschuk -at- printable -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:57:58 -0700 (PDT)

> I read the original "my company has decided" as being a
> euphemism for "one of our sales guys talked the CEO into

that's a hell of a leap, ain't it?

> this because he's got a customer who raised a question and
> he's afraid he'll lose the sale if he goes back and explains
> to the customer why it's a bad idea and so the CEO, not
> knowing any better, announced this as our new policy."
>
> My reaction in such a situation is to send the CEO an email that
> says: "Perhaps we should reconsider this decision; there may be
> consequences that we have not given sufficient thought to. I've
> attached a memo that outlines those consequences and explains
> why they should be of concern.
> I think this is a matter of some urgency and would like the
> opportunity to discuss it with you."

and if it wasn't his idea and he knows nothing about it, you now have
a CEO kicking up all kinds of dust, and maybe, just maybe, there is a
good reason for this request.

I can imagine me sending an email to Joe Tucci (CEO of EMC) on this.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."