Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation

Subject: Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Rob Domaschuk <rdomaschuk -at- printable -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:10:36 -0400

Rob Domaschuk wrote:

Wow, that is crazy!

Yes it is.

I read the original "my company has decided" as being a euphemism for "one of our sales guys talked the CEO into this because he's got a customer who raised a question and he's afraid he'll lose the sale if he goes back and explains to the customer why it's a bad idea and so the CEO, not knowing any better, announced this as our new policy."

My reaction in such a situation is to send the CEO an email that says: "Perhaps we should reconsider this decision; there may be consequences that we have not given sufficient thought to. I've attached a memo that outlines those consequences and explains why they should be of concern. I think this is a matter of some urgency and would like the opportunity to discuss it with you."

I've never seen an irreversible policy change, and I'd assume this one is reversible until convinced otherwise.

Dick