Re: Survey Question

Subject: Re: Survey Question
From: "Robyn Richards" <robynrrr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:36:09 +0000

I once had to document a product where I was reluctantly allowed access over a VPN.
One of the deliverables was an installation and setup guide (!) which I had to create without once ever installing the product.

In addition, the copy of the application that I could access was set up for one user at a time. This meant that if anyone locally decided to connect, I had no access. The development group was non-English speaking and situated half way around the world, so obtaining any information was a logistical exercise in itself. There were no product specs and the product was constantly being modified.

I was new to the company, was unfamiliar with the tools in use and had an absent manager (who in any case wasn't interested in the project as it was not in his purview).

All in all an interesting start to a job!