Fw: ISO 26514 draft ready for comment [long]

Subject: Fw: ISO 26514 draft ready for comment [long]
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:32:09 -0400

Folks,

[NOTE: Peter Sturgeon posted the forwarded message below (originally posted to stcqsig-l) on 20 July. George Hayhoe informs me that the comment period closes 8 September. I am including the entire original post from Peter for the benefit of anyone who may have missed it.]

I spent several hours reviewing and commenting on the draft, and I
recommend that anyone involved in creating user documentation for
software products do the same. The standard, once adopted, will be the
controlling document referenced in any standards-based software
development contracted for in the future and so it affects a great many
people on this list.

My recollection is that when the standard was first proposed there was
discussion of its scope. What I recall from that discussion is that the
standard would not delve into prescribing specific design features for
documents but would concentrate instead on functional requirements for
documents. It turns out, though, that as the draft standard has evolved
it now includes a number of specific design solutions, either as
requirements or suggested best practices.

My strong feeling is that this is not in keeping with what a standard
ought to do. There is no good reason to impose a particular design
solution--one that may be suboptimal for a variety of reasons--on future
document designers, necessitating a change in the standard each time an
innovative improvement is discovered. Instead, a standard should specify
the performance characteristics of documents under different
circumstances--criteria of usability and effectiveness and ways to
measure the document against those criteria. The draft standard does
this as well, but then it goes on, as I said, to prescribe particular
design solutions.

Anyone who is interested in the way documents are designed for existing
and potential future media environments should carefully read the draft
standard and forward comments to George using the method requested in
the forwarded post below.

Thanks for your attention,

Dick Margulis
http://www.dmargulis.com/typography.asp