Re: SharePoint administration

Subject: Re: SharePoint administration
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>, "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:35:56 -0700

Good luck. My experience has been that whenever a company invests large amounts of money into an expensive system without adding the internal bodycount needed to administer and support it because it got bamboozled by some sales rep's claim that one of its existing people could handle it in his/her "spare time," the person who initially gets the hot potato inevitably becomes the "database administrator, web developer, content manager, etc."), the needed resources are rarely added later on, and the stuckee eventually finds that the only way to pass on said hot potato is to quit. And in those cases where that does
not happen, a year later the results look pretty much exactly like what
they would have had the investment in the expensive system not been
made in the first place, because nobody ever became sufficiently
adept in the system to make substantial use of its supposed benefits.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>

We are a small company and currently cannot add headcount to cover this
role, so I need to make sure that, as this is being dumped in my lap
(the administration of it), that I recommend the proper resources. I
have no intention of becoming a database administrator, web developer,
or content manager myself. =)