ADMIN Re: List setup

Subject: ADMIN Re: List setup
From: "Lisa M. Bronson" <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:13:15 -0500

Good morning, everyone. :)

What Dick says is one reason why the list is set up the way it is. I used to
be on a neighborhood association list, and watched some friends of mine have
a marital spat on the list. I wrote and told her what was happening, but not
before they had exchanged several emails.

There are other reasons this list is set up as it is, as well, not the least
of which is the amount of list traffic. When list membership gets as large
as TECHWR-L (currently over 2,600 subscribers), every message has an impact
on the system and on it's subscribers. I receive enough complaints about
the signal-to-noise ratio of the list as it is! (Yes, that's a subtle
reminder to be careful in what you post.) And Mailman, our list processing
software "_strongly_ recommends" (emphasis theirs) that replies go to the
poster, not to the list.

If you have anything further to say on this subject, please write to me
directly, off-list. Simply hit Reply, not Reply All. :)

Warm regards,

Lisa B.

On 7/19/06, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

John Cornellier wrote:
> Lots of people send messages to the poster rather than the group. This
> is because of the way the email is set up. Perhaps this "feature" is
> more of a "bug"? The default behaviour is to reply to the original
> sender, which to me at least is counter-intuitive.

John,

I participate on two lists where the default behavior is to reply to the
list and you have to manually delete the list address and copy/paste the
member's address if you want to reply privately.

This arrangement leads to FREQUENT embarrassment for people who intended
to write privately to the OP.

The setup on techwr-l, where Reply All is the way to post to the list,
is far preferable IMO.

Dick
http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/