Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: Sherrill Fink <slfink -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:07:52 -0400

Hi,

I used to be on this list many years ago, and now I'm returning for a short while. I worked as a DoD Technical Writer/Editor for 15 years, and four years ago I resigned to homeschool my children full-time. I do accept the occasional freelance job, though, and I enjoy keeping my hand in. Recently, I was asked to give a 1-hr talk to homeschooled high-school students on tech-whirling as a career.

So, naturally, my thoughts fondly returned to the tech-whirlers who were always such a wealth of information and encouragement to me in earlier years. Would anyone be willing to weigh in on:

1. What students can learn now to help them prepare
2. What colleges are good to attend for this type of work (I know these don't precisely correspond to those with "technical writing" as a major)
3. What salary range could they expect

I don't want to just "use" you folks as a substitute for my own research, but since I've been out of active commission for a while, and before that was in the government (now, that isn't NECESSARILY redundant, mind you), I would like to ask for your opinions to augment my research.

This is your opportunity to spout off to those young whippersnappers of today. What would you want newbies to learn before they try to apprentice under you?

Thanks,
Sherrill Fink