Re: HelpStudio? - Extra info

Subject: Re: HelpStudio? - Extra info
From: Jan Vereecken <jan -dot- vereecken -at- sofico -dot- be>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:51:44 +0200

Hi,

To clarify my original question a bit (sorry it was rather general), we
used to work with Robohelp (until three years ago I believe, it was before
my time here), but since then we only have documentation in Word (I
know!). Because our customers are asking for an online help system, and
also because a lot of information is re-used, we now want to start online
help again.
My specific questions about Helpstudio are:
- Robohelp wasn't very good at generating Word/PDF files with its Printed
Documentation feature. I read that HelpStudio produces PDF directly. Is it
any good? Can the layout be customized? We will still need printed
documentation, so this is really important for us.
- Another thing is the HTML code. Robohelp's code was very 'muddy', and I
am wondering if HelpStudio performs better.
- The last important thing that we keep in mind is version and document
control. We are a team of three constantly taking over each other's
workload and thus sharing all the files. For the moment we use Word with
SVN (Subversion, which is open-source). Is there any document control
system in HelpStudio for checking in and out single topics?
- I already mentioned content re-use. A lot of text parts in our
functional guide is being re-used in other guides, and also in the release
notes and release news. So I was wondering if HelpStudio has any features
that support this.

Of course, if anybody has another HAT that would fit our needs, feel free
to tell me! We already checked out Author IT, but our IT manager has some
issues with that (can't remember which though). Robohelp may be alive a
little bit, but we don't want to invest in it. and lastly WebWorks
Publisher is also not an option, because we want to get rid of Word as
base content editor.

PS Please also reply to me directly at jan -dot- vereecken -at- sofico -dot- be, as I am on
digest.

Thanks in advance,

Jan Vereecken
Training and Documentation
The information in this email is intended only for the addressee(s) named
above. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may
be unlawful. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error
free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Sofico does not accept
liability for any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.
Please note that any views expressed in this email may be those of the
originator and do not necessarily reflect those of this organisation.