Re: Word and crashing

Subject: Re: Word and crashing
From: obair <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 06:17:54 -0700

On 29 Meitheamh 2006, at 11:03 am, Geoff Hart wrote:

<<A translation company working on a word file (produced from a frame file) tell me that they are having word crashes as they do the final desktop publishing work on the file, which is 100 MB.>>

> You can often solve such problems by (a) creating a new file based on the template and (b) importing the old file into that new file (Insert-->File). A bit more drastically, you can copy everything except the final paragraph marker into the new file. Both solve a range of Word corruptions.
<<The many images in the word file are embedded, because that is how mif2go made the word file, even though the images in the frame file are referenced.>>

> This suggests that your source material is in Frame, in which case (for future reference) you should consider using a company that has access to Frame and knows how to use it. The more often you convert files between formats, the more likely you are to create unnecessary problems--no conversion is ever perfect, and creeping imperfections can cause major problems. For example, people I trust tell me that moving files back and forth between Word and WordPerfect is a recipe for disaster.

We have to go to word, since the language is not supported in frame.

> I can't say how mif2go might be creating problems, but the fewer variables you have to consider, the less likely it is you'll encounter such problems.

> You didn't mention what graphic format you're using. My recollection is that PC versions of Word had problems with bitmaps and metafiles; my Mac version certainly does. That suggests you might want to use a program such as Irfanview (http://irfanview.com/) to batch-convert your graphics files into a more modern format such as GIF or PNG. (Test these options on a few files to see how well they work before you go to the trouble of converting everything.)

As I recall, bmp is favored when using mif2go to go from frame to word. BMP does not seem to be the problem.

I have since, thanks to help on this list and on framers, made out how to get around this.

From now on I will be sending the agency word files with linked graphics (not embedded), using a trick I am just after learning. For the current giant already translated file making their Word bomb, I am going to have them delete the embedded images and add linked graphics.

Paul