RE: CLARIFICATION: RE: New Software Recommendations/Ideas

Subject: RE: CLARIFICATION: RE: New Software Recommendations/Ideas
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:28:33 -0400

Donna Jones said...

> I attended a FrameMaker webinar by Adobe itself yesterday. The
presenter
> stated quite clearly that Frame isn't going away anytime soon. It's
not
> going to replace or be replaced by In Design or anything else. Adobe
has
> a lot of plans for Frame, and the presenter ran through quite a few of
> them. You're going to see DITA support soon, if it's not already in
7.2
> (which I don't have, so I don't know).
>
> My personal guess would be that unstructured Frame will eventually
> become a relic (maybe sooner than later), but structured Frame is
going
> to be around for quite some time.

I'm always a bit skeptical when companies start being too eager to
insist they have "big plans" for a product line or company division that
has been rumored to be on its way out and hasn't had much development in
a while. Is this not the same company that keeps insisting to anyone who
will pause long enough to listen that RoboHelp is not dead, even after
the development team has been fired long enough to launch their own
company and release a competing product?

It always reminds me of the classic case in professional sports when a
team misses the playoffs. Inevitably the following day the team owner
makes a public statement that the existing coach has the "full support
of myself and the entire organization" and within 48 hours ESPN reports
the coach has been fired.

The business world does this all the time--anyone remember hearing a
certain CEO insist that "everything is fine" at Enron? And just to sling
some mud at the politicians, we must recall the infamous "Read my
lips..." and "I did not have relations with that woman..." speeches.

But maybe I'm just too cynical...