RE: Developing a Methodology

Subject: RE: Developing a Methodology
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:56:12 -0400

"Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com> wrote on
05/26/2006 08:38:13 AM:
> I'm not sure what constitutes a "documentation defect" in Six Sigma
> parlance, and I'm wondering if someone can elaborate:

As for all other much ballyhooed methodologies, Six Sigma does nothing to
define what constitutes a defect. Nor what is acceptable in terms of
defects.

It provides tools and methods to: Identify, Define, Measure, Analyse,
Improve, and Control existing processes. Some of that might not be perfect
to other Six Sigma types as I'm translating it from French. To that is
added some real statistical analysis math to make it seem wonderfully
scientific and a bunch of official looking forms to fill out as you
perform all the requisite steps to prove to your employer that printing on
both side of the page using a duplex printer saves paper. ;)

If you define or identify the "defect" as some arcane grammar rule or
comma usage, and you measure and analyse for that defect, that's the
defect you'll find, and that's the defect you'll be trying to solve.

While Six Sigma makes a lot of noise about not starting a project with a
formulated solution, what you measure for is ultimately incredibly biased
towards specific problems and specific solutions. But, if you rigorously
follow the method, all but the most limited practice projects stand a
remoter chance of being affected and identifying, perhaps, a bigger
problem and/or a better improvement.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.