RE: ANN: Microsoft update (WinHelp)

Subject: RE: ANN: Microsoft update (WinHelp)
From: "Paul Neshamkin" <pauln -at- helpauthors -dot- com>
To: "'Bill Swallow'" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:57:56 -0400

Bill,

No, that's not right. HTML Help was originally designed as a local or
network Help system (a replacement for WinHelp). Uncompiled, it was even
designed for use on the web. The only HATT that took Microsoft at their word
(we were writing the book for MSDN, so we thought we knew what was up) was
WexTech, which could write a browser-based Help version using the hhctrl.ocx
and one for non-IE browsers using the Microsoft JavaApplet -- all part of
the original release of HTML Help. Now, of course, the use of hhctrl.ocx in
an uncompiled HTML page will not work.

Later versions of HTML Help were even supposed to have the ability to
transparently update compiled HTML Help topics from a web site, but this was
never implemented (along with a lot of other neat things like multiple
categories in Information Types).

IMHO, HTML Help never was finished, and has been degraded in its
functionality since the initial release.

Regards,

Paul Neshamkin
pauln -at- helpauthors -dot- com

MS Help MVP
ComponentOne Doc-To-Help Certified Trainer and MVP
WexTech MVP, and Certified Trainer

The Paul Neshamkin Group
http://www.helpauthors.com
201-714-9525