Re: ANN: Microsoft update (WinHelp)

Subject: Re: ANN: Microsoft update (WinHelp)
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:58:28 -0400

... which (unless you reduce security with some Registry hacks) won't
run unless loaded from a local disk, and any uncompiled HTML Help won't
work with the content in a different frame to the TOC or index.
Because most organisations are unhappy about compromising security,
effectively this kills HTML Help for anything not installed on your
computer.

FWIW, I've now spent enough time (non-chargeable time) working round
the problems that MS's sledgehammer approach to HTML Help security
issues has caused to seriously affect my income, and I'm going hoarse
from the times I've uttered, "<fe>Thanks, Bill</fe>!" :(

To be fair, HTML Help was designed as a locally deployed UA solution,
not a networked UA solution. Personally I'm quite happy to comply with
its original intent rather than face the security issues found if
Windows wasn't properly patched to disallow the hacking of CHMs in
networked implementations. And uncompiled solutions do still work in
both networked and local implementations. I'm not sure what you're
seeing there, but it might be due to using certain ActiveX controls.
Java and JavaScript-driven HTML-based uncompiled UA solutions work
fine from my experience, multi-pane or no.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter