Developing a Methodology

Subject: Developing a Methodology
From: "Zuercher, Darrell" <dzuerche -at- tva -dot- gov>
To: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>, "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:21:52 -0400

On another thread, Eric L. Dunn wrote,

>> Six Sigma methods are designed for analysing an existing system,
>> identifying bottlenecks, and evaluating proposed changes. Not for
>> initially roping in chaos.

>> It's moderately different if there is SOME methodology to the filing
and
>> naming process for the documents. In that case, it is important first
>> define and analyse the existing procedures.

I am developing a life cycle methodology for the software development
team for which I am a lone writer. This methodology would also include
user and system documentation. My strategy is to perform a gap analysis
based on the ISO 90000 guidelines for the ISO 9001 standard, and have
recently been directed to also use ISO/IEC 20000. After identifying the
scope that this methodology would cover, I then plan to use CMM to gauge
the relative health of each process within the methodology. After that,
I would use Six Sigma's approach to develop metrics by which I could
direct and measure the improvement of these processes.

Is my approach flawed? Since I am not pursuing certification in any of
these standards (at this time), are there resources available (other
than the ISO standards themselves) that would assist me in establishing
the methodology? I already have management buy-in with some
authorization for purchasing some resource material.

I have been advised by a Six Sigma Green Belt to pursue the same level
of certification while I am doing this. Since I do not anticipate a
career in Six Sigma documentation, is that certification worth pursuing?

I appreciate any opinions and advice on this,

Darrell Zuercher
Technical Writer
Tennessee Valley Authority