Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (take II)

Subject: Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (take II)
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:26:07 -0400

Char James-Tanny provided more insider information: <<To answer your
questions, there wasn't a "Contents" tab as we know it. Instead, there
was a "taxonomy" topic that grouped topics by categories. This, to many
folks, made more sense than a TOC anyway...TOCs are arbitrary ordering
systems, designed by the author.>>

Just FYI...none of this was "insider" information. Some of it has been
available for awhile. And there have been a lot of changes over the
years, too...Google will find some of them.

Also...in many ways, you're preaching to the choir. As MVPs, we don't
make any decisions...we just pass on information.

Finally, I just want to repeat this: right now, no third-part viewer
is planned for Vista Help. This means that we, as Help authors, don't
get to use it.

However, OASIS has a DITA TC and a discussion group about user
assistance, WritersUA had a UA Consortium meeting to discuss
possibilities, and I've heard of other groups holding similar
meetings. Many folks want a new Help standard (that may or may not
include Microsoft), and joining one of those groups is something to
consider.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com