Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help?

Subject: Re: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help?
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 19:05:02 -0400

Hi, Geoff :-)

<snip>

Any Microsofties out there who can tell us how to make our voices
heard? Char, do you have the ear of anyone at Microsoft willing to
listen to us?

Well...I guess the first bit of news that I should share is that there
isn't a third-party viewer for Vista Help right now (this was
announced at WritersUA in April). Vista Help will be used for the Help
and Support Center in Vista, and will only be used by Microsoft, OEMs,
and corporations.

To answer your questions, there wasn't a "Contents" tab as we know it.
Instead, there was a "taxonomy" topic that grouped topics by
categories. This, to many folks, made more sense than a TOC
anyway...TOCs are arbitrary ordering systems, designed by the author.
The information was still there, it was just organized differently.

And there wasn't an index tab. However, one of the MAML elements was
for keywords, and these keywords would be used to beef up the search.
There were also features like "Best Bet Keyword", which would push a
topic toward the top of a search list.

So...for right now, it's moot.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com