Re: Programs to create a software walk-through?

Subject: Re: Programs to create a software walk-through?
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Gregory P Sweet" <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>, "John Bartol" <johnbartol -at- shaw -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:07:47 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory P Sweet" <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>

Cuase of the corruption (get this) I transferred the files to a network
drive for storage. Seems Captivate doesn't allow this. Found a tech note on
macrodobe's site and nearly hit the roof when I read that you can;t move
the files off your HD.

Hi Greg

Working the way you outlined should be perfectly acceptable. The simple fact you move files to a network shouldn't corrupt Captivate. Where folks go wrong, however, is when they place files on a network, THEN use Captivate to open the files while still residing in the network location and work on them this way.

Note that by default, Captivate likes to create files in the "My Documents\My Captivate Projects" folder. While this looks innocuous enough, this may actually refer to a network location. If you can walk up to any PC in your organization, sit down, log in and your desktop follows you wherever you go, guess where your files are being stored?

Based on your description, I would surmise you opened and edited your Captivate project files while they were still in this network location. I can't say as I've ever heard anyone report that simply moving the files to and from the LAN causes corruption to occur.

Cheers... Rick :)