RE: Spell Check Problem?

Subject: RE: Spell Check Problem?
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:22:08 -0400

This happens to me all the time. We have offices in England and Denmark as well as the office I work at in Maryland. Sometimes a particular document gets updated a few times, or the template goes back and forth between offices. Generally it is something where "center" get underlined as should be "centre" and I figure it out right away and change the language setting. However one day something happened and my language settings were for Danish. EVERY word I typed had the red underline beneath it and it freaked me out so bad...it took forever to dawn on me that my language setting was Danish. It was really funny...because everything just kept coming up WRONG! :)

I swear sometimes WORD just does little things like change settings on its own. WORD also tends to think it knows what I want more than I do. The trick is to convince WORD who is boss...or at least to convince yourself you are the boss over WORD. :)

Melissa

From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "Darges, Katherine" <katherine -dot- darges -at- defensegp -dot- com>,TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: Spell Check Problem?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:00:02 -0400

Katherine Darges wondered: <<My Word document, approx 30 pages, has suddenly (it wasn't doing this yesterday) started showing that little red underline on a dozen random words. They aren't mispelled or strange words (because, operate, open...). Just to be sure I wasn't missing something, I selected "because" and checked it with spell check. The options I was given were all in FRENCH. The same with each of the other "mispelled" words. What the heck? Where did the French come in all of a sudden on those few words?>>

Clearly it's a French plot. I suspect your computer has been hijacked by anti-U.S. French cybercommandos intent on paying back your country for decades of perceived slights. <g> Here in Canada, I've seen similar problems with U.S. English becoming U.K. English, presumably for similarly sinister reasons. <g>

This is one of those relatively minor document corruptions that strikes Word for no apparent reason... I suspect it has something to do with Word's gothically (and comically) ornate .doc file format, which makes documents vulnerable to occasional bit-flips. In effect, Word simply forgets what it's doing, and it's not always easy to make it remember again.

The standard cure for document corruption is to copy the entire document _except the final paragraph marker_ into a clean new document and work from there. If necessary, you can also select the individual words that are causing you problems and reapply the correct language settings (Tools-->Language). It may take a couple tries, but it usually works.

www.geoff-hart.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com