RE: Low Cost of Living (Was: Questions on the Business End of Things)

Subject: RE: Low Cost of Living (Was: Questions on the Business End of Things)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:58:29 -0500

Arroxane wrote:
> Getting back to TW... my lifetime goal is to continue writing in my
> golden (and platinum) years from the middle of the woods or a forest
> on/near a mountain. (Anyone got a mountain for sale?)
>
> So, are any of you living this lifestyle already and want to make us
> jealous?

I'm getting there. I work from home two out of every three weeks. Home
is an old farmhouse on just over 50 acres of land in northern lower
Michigan. It's 10 and 15 minutes to the nearest beaches on Lake Huron.
We have four distinct seasons, which I absolutely love. My spring plants
are just now beginning to flower. The weather is relatively warm (in the
50s and 60s lately) but not hot yet. The kids have been playing outside
again lately. Their favorite place to play? An old pile of hay from a
round bale that fell apart last fall.

My husband and I just had 1000 blueberry bushes delivered yesterday for
the start of the fruit farm we hope to open in the next few years. My
goal sometime in the future is to become a contract technical writer
again so I can work the fruit farm in the warmer seasons and be a writer
the rest of the time.

Oh, and since the topic of cookbooks came up... I've been working on a
cookbook for the last few years. It started out with me just typing up
my Mom's recipes during a time when I was laid off. But because I
couldn't type it without formatting it, it took on a life of its own. I
started including stuff from family, friends, and even complete
strangers who I found out could make a particular dish. Yes, I am
developing an extensive index. Yes, I'm including a section with basic
cooking instructions for people like my nephews who are just moving out
on their own. Yes, to make it more interesting, I'm including little
blurbs to tell who gave the recipes to me (someone at work brought in
"Blueberry Boy Cake," so I got the recipe from him and a good story to
boot). If you have any favorite recipes that you would like to share
with me, feel free to pass them on (to me personally at my home address
below, definitely NOT to this list!). Some day, I plan to call my
cookbook "done" and send out HTML or PDF copies to anyone who wants
them. Don't know exactly when "some day" will be... But some day!

Donna
dljones3423 -at- yahoo -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.