Re: [Query] The Future of Macromedia/Adobe RoboHelp

Subject: Re: [Query] The Future of Macromedia/Adobe RoboHelp
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:43:07 -0500

I haven't worked on an online help project since 2003 and don't expect
to do so again any time soon, so my interest is purely theoretical.

Having said that:

The party line from Adobe, right up until the moment that they
officially announce the killing off of the product, is and will
continue to be, "RoboHelp is alive and well!"

The party line from Madcap is and will continue to be, "The torch has
passed!" (They do seem to be developing a critical mass of users
pretty quickly, if my anecdotal evidence from talking to local help
authors is any good.)

If you're just starting out as a help developer and need to choose a
tool, quite frankly, you're running a risk either way. My gut
instinct would be to go with Flare, because I've seen Adobe kill too
many mature products through neglect, especially outside acqusitions,
in the past. (They seem to be in the process of doing that now with
Framemaker; I just upgraded to 7.2, and find myself wondering why I
bothered.)

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
AOL IM: bcampbellnyc