Re: ISO standards for displaying errors, warnings, etc.

Subject: Re: ISO standards for displaying errors, warnings, etc.
From: "Stacia Marlett" <smarlett -at- digitalriver -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:34:22 -0600

Thanks Janice and Donna for the links. It looks like there really aren't
any standards for software/web application messaging, which is sad.
We'll just have to translate manufacturing messages for our own use.

Thanks again everyone. This is a great list, hopefully I can answer
someone's question soon!

Stacia Marlett
Technical Writer
Digital River
9625 West 76th St. Ste. 150
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
952-253-8663

------------------------------

Message: 22
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:24:41 +1000
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Stacia Marlett wrote:
> Hi! I'm new and have come with a question already.
>
> I've tried Googling and searching the ISO website, but I cannot find
> clear definitions for Errors, Warnings, etc. I'm working with our UI
> Design group on displaying errors in our web app. We aren't sure what
> the standards are for the little icons that go with errors, or the
> correct level of priority.
>
> Right now we have a red triangle containing a white exclamation point
> with bold red font for errors, and a yellow triangle containing a
black
> exclamation point with normal black font for warnings. We also use an
> "Info" message with a blue circle and a white "i" for the icon. Our
> success messages are a green circle containing a white checkmark. What
> are the other levels?
>
> Anything will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I can't find anything online that directly explains
the standards but there are many places you can order
them. this web site lists standard numbers relating
to safety symbols:

http://www.aem.org/Safety/Sign/

This web site shows IEC standard icons:

http://www.lamothe-approvals.com/Articles/commonsymbols.htm

Good luck!

-- Janice

------------------------------

Message: 23
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:32:59 -0600
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

This link shows some icons and what colors tend to mean when indicating
hazards on safety labels, but they can also be applied to other
documentation. ANSI and ISO standards (or are they just
recommendations?) can be a little different.

http://www.cellotape.com/html/services_01_02_01.html

We only use yellow caution triangles at Zebra with some of the icons
shown on this site (ESD, electric shock, burn hazard). Our printers
don't cause death or serious injury, but they can give you an electric
shock or burn you. When I worked for Motorola's radio system sector, we
used red for danger, orange for warning, and yellow for caution as
described on this site because you can literally fry yourself on some of
the high-voltage radio towers.

This site here shows a red circle with a white X to denote errors. I
would save the red triangle with an exclamation point for dangers that
indicate bodily harm.

http://www.flounder.com/multitidy.htm

-Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may
also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you
may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive
this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email
and then delete this email.